Tuesday, January 11, 2005

NC is ACC country

So they say. I've made it clear before that I'm not a big fan. Being an ACC fan strikes me as "herd mentality", especially UNC Chapel Hil. Tarheel fans think Chapel Hill is the greatest college basketball school of all time (hello? ever heard of UCLA?), and it particularly bugs me when so many yokels are adamant about a school they never went to or had anything to do with.

Plus I hate how the ACC refuses to schedule good competition from within the state. They'll schedule bottom-feeders like NC A&T all day long, but would never touch a consistent Big Dancer like Charlotte with a 10-foot pole.

But, with that being said...

I do like Duke. It's hard for me to admit it, but I do. I followed Bobby Hurley back in the early 90s, and I dreamed of going to Duke when I was in high school. Alas, mediocre grades and no money won't get you in.

But my dream was fulfilled (sort of) when I started teaching philosophy and film courses for the Duke Talent Identification Program 2 years ago. It's not exactly the same thing as metriculating there, but I do get to stay on the Duke campus for 6 weeks in the summer.

And I get to return this Sunday, but not for a teaching post. I'm going to work the Duke-Virginia basketball game for a film production company. It'll be my first time seeing the Blue Devils in action in Cameron. And I even get paid. Such a deal.

So I'll let you know how the experience was when I get back. I hear the Duke crowd is rowdy. I've been spoiled by the Niner Nation at Halton Arena, so I have high expectations for the Cameron Crazies.

Now if only Duke would schedule Charlotte. Knock on wood.

UPDATE: OK, I don't like Duke anymore. I was just told by the production company that wanted to hire me that Duke has a policy about how many people per group can get in to Cameron for free. I was the low man on the totem pole, so I won't be going to the game after all. DANGIT

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home