Thursday, March 31, 2005

Finally. It's officially "Charlotte" in the N&R

I wonder what the folks at the Greensboro News & Record think of me. Am I seen as a reputable, concerned citizen, or just as an obnoxiously persistent college student with weird hair who never gives up?

First there was the lengthy debate between me and editorial page editor Allen Johnson about not including Libertarians in editorial endorsement consideration in the paper. I was tenacious enough in persuing that matter that the paper's discrimination policy will change, presumably in 2006.

Now, after several blog entries, a few emails, and a hand-delivered press release to the News & Record from the Univerisity of North Carolina at Charlotte, the paper is changing their policy again. This time it's about referring to the athletic programs of my alma mater as the preferred "Charlotte" instead of "UNC Charlotte" in the News & Record.

From N&R Editor John Robinson in a recent email to me:

"Rusty,
Sorry it has taken a while to get back to you on the UNCC vs. Charlotte debate. Joe Sirera, our sports editor, has decided that you're right and we'll begin referring to the 49ers as playing for Charlotte. There are reasons that we didn't before that I won't bore you with. He's preparing a communication to his staff of this change in style. Now, please cut us a little slack as we adjust to the change and have to break some habits. I'm sure we'll refer to it the old way on occasion.
Thanks for questioning it."

Regardless of how they picture me, I definitely have respect for them. Two times now where they have listened to the ramblings of a random nobody like me and changed their policies as a direct result. They listen to their audience. That is refreshing, indeed.

If they keep it up I may have to actually subscribe to the paper.

5 Comments:

Blogger Roch101 said...

"Am I seen as a reputable, concerned citizen, or just as an obnoxiously persistent college student with weird hair who never gives up?"

I think of you as a reputable concerned citizen with weird hair -- but then, I'm just jealous.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Rustam Sheridan said...

I thought it was goal-tending? Alas, that was before my time.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Patrick Eakes said...

You have apparently prevailed in your campaign to have your alma mater called Charlotte. Perhaps you should return the favor by noticing the newspaper has not been the Greensboro News & Record for several years.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I had your hair once, but have, with experience, grown more Roch-like. I was the proverbial "Dave Shaft". It has since lost a lot of body, and when I shampoo, I never have an orgasm.

Enjoy it while you can!

Dave
UNCC...I mean Charlotte

8:13 AM  
Blogger Ogre said...

I remember when UNCC started that change. I was there when they asked me to change "all" the web pages to UNC-Charlotte and then a year later just to "Charlotte."

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home